[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts + console + gnu screen ircase?effect

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Mon Apr 12 20:26:26 UTC 2010

-=| Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn, Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:43:28PM +0200 |=-
> Then it's the other thing: cluttering the console.  I do understand
> messaging is important.  But 'logger' should be a better way to achieve
> that.
>
> 	# tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> in a desktop terminal, push a button and watch the show.  No need to
> switch to a console to look for messages.  I understand there are some
> cases where switching to a virtual console may leed to not being able to
> switch back to X.

I think I see a misunderstanding here.

This particular case of writing to the console is on purpose. It is
used when there is no X session recognized and the console is the only
way to notify the user of the event. Note: notification, not logging.
It is a console version of the notification area baloon in a typical
graphical desktop environment.