[Debian-eeepc-devel] [patch] proposal: /etc/acpi/lib/notify.sh

Bob Wilkinson bob at fourtheye.org
Fri Apr 16 20:40:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:39:21AM +0200, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> > And some comments about the changes.
> >
> > This change:
> >
> > -    CATEGORY=$1
> > -    MSG=$2
>
> You might have misses these comments:
>
> +    # $1 - category
> +    # $2 - message
> +    # $3 - ???
> +    # $4.. - ???
>
> specially this one:
>
> +    # positional parameters never change during the course of this function
>
> > and $MSG -> $2 and $CATEGORY -> $1
> >
> > is making the whole patch bigger (and mixed) and I don't see the
> > benefits, apart from using $1, $2,....
>
> Marginally bigger, yes.  But those variables are not needed.  And then, I
> documented the arguments, didn't I?

Hello

I am not as concerned about the size of code as I am about
legibility and ease of comprehension.

I think that to name the positional parameters at the start of the
function produce code which is much more readable.

The increase in legibility is, I believe, directly proportional to
both the number of parameters and the length of the code.

While I may read the comments at the top of the code, I then have
to memorise the mapping while reading the code. This is potentially
error-prone. If I can read the named parameters throughout the code
then I no longer have this potential for miscomprehension.

Code is read many more times than it is written.

Bob
--
"If you propose to speak, always ask yourself,
  is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?"