[Debian-eeepc-devel] Acpi hotket/button events

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:26:43 UTC 2010

I have problems understanding this code in /etc/acpi/action/hotkeys.sh:

acpi=
acpiwrite=
ACPITEST=/lib/init/rw/eeepc-acpi-scripts.acpi-ignore
case "$code" in
    # Soft buttons 3 & 4 and Fn-Space/SHE are special.
    # They're always reported as hotkeys.
    # This will probably break when button events are added for these keys.
    0000001[cd]|00000039)
	;;
    *)
	if test -f "$ACPITEST"; then
	    read acpi <"$ACPITEST"
	else
	    acpiwrite=$(test "x$1" = x- && echo hotkey || echo -)
	fi
	test "$1" = "$acpi" && exit 0
	;;
esac

I don't understand the comment too; with linux 2.6.33 acpi_listen
tells me that none of my hotkeys generates a button event (most do on
2.6.32), but eeepc-acpi-scripts works well anyway.
Why aren't we just listening for hotkeys instead of buttons?
Are there models that generate only button events?
Cheers,

Luca