[Debian-eeepc-devel] RFC: remove OSD support for screen brightness

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Apr 23 16:29:12 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 12:33 PM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I'd like to propose to drop OSD support for screen brightness.

I agree it's a less-needed feature that, if it causes intractable
problems, could be removed.

> Squeeze's kernel synthesizes a key event that will make many desktop
> environments display their own nice OSD;

Many, but not all.  We provide OSD for the sake of those who don't have
one, something I've always been somewhat uncomfortable with.  If there
were a good, standalone OSD provided outside of eeepc-acpi-scripts, I'd
be happier, as I've never liked ours.

> moreover, screen brightness is kind of self-evident, so the OSD it's
> not strictly necessary;

Agreed.

> most importantly, on lenny's kernel it's driven by the generic
> video/brightness acpi event, so keeping it it's kind of a conflict
> with acpi-support (I have to experiment about it; I suspect it
> wouldn't properly crash things, but it would still be a generic
> functionality implemented in a system-specific package).

Well reasoned.