[Debian-eeepc-devel] 1000HA: WiFi device not dectected in Squeeze (was: wifi and squeeze)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 13 09:02:52 UTC 2010

Dear Vincent,

please remember to make the subject line as precise as possible. If you
paste something, please also turn off line wrapping for these sections.

Am Freitag, den 13.08.2010, 10:48 +0200 schrieb Vincent Hobeika:

[…]

> I managed to install a debian squeeze on my eeepc 1000HA.
>
> It runs quite well. I have a problem though with the wifi device. I
> cannot figure how to make it work.
>
> The following page http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Model/1000HA
> says that the Atheros card is now supported with the squeeze kernel.
>
> I have checked and it seems I have an Atheros card:
>
> $ lspci -nn

[…]

> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet [1969:1026] (rev b0)
>
> Well as you can see (last line) there is an Atheros device. The
> strange thing is that only the ethernet controller shows up. Moreover
> the wifi is working like a charm with the Windows XP shipped with the
> eeepc. So there must be a wireless controller somewhere. Maybe it's
> simply the full name of the device that has changed but I doubt that
> because I don't see any AR5001 in this output and I believe it's the
> part number of the wireless controller.

Please attach or paste the output from `dmesg` or from `/var/log/syslog`
(just last boot). Please also paste the output of `lsmod`.

Are there some LEDs indicating if WiFi is activated? Is the WiFi card
normally disabled at boot time and the Windows driver just enabled it
automatically?

> I have installed wicd and the client doesn't find any wireless
> connection while I know there are dozen where I am. It successfully
> shows the actual wired connection I am using right now.

If there is no device detected it is quite likely that WiFi programs
will not work.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul