[Debian-eeepc-devel] not all beeps getting through

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Wed Dec 8 00:19:31 UTC 2010

DI> -=| Trent W. Buck, Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:35:33PM +1000 |=-
>> jidanni at jidanni.org writes:
>>
>> > The first few seconds of
>> > $ beep -l 11111
In fact 5, corresponding to the parameter below.

Single instances of plain
$ beep
mostly don't beep at all. I.e., bye bye mail notification, etc.

>> > are normal, the remainder very low volume. The number of seconds vary.
>> > How does one toggle auto-suspending, if indeed that is the problem?
>>
>> sudo tee <<<0 /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save  # turn it off

OK, in /etc/rc.local I now do
  echo 0 >| /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

Now all the beeps get through (except the very first one after boot, but
maybe I will put a short low volume beep there in /etc/rc.local to
cover that too.)

DI> I seem to have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/eeepc.conf:

DI>     options snd_hda_intel power_save=5 model=eeepc-901

I found
  options snd_hda_intel power_save=5
there. But why? Taking it out and rebooting shows the same 5 value in
/sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save . And shouldn't the
default be 0 to reduce aforementioned broken behavior too?

EEEPC 702.