[Debian-eeepc-devel] 1201n and pm-utils : pm-hibernate/pm-suspend

giggzounet giggzounet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 18:48:03 UTC 2010

Alan Jenkins a écrit :
> On 2/6/10, giggzounet <giggzounet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my eeepc 1201n + lenny + backports + eeepc script from sid I have
>> tested the pm-utils things :
>>
>> pm-hibernate seems to work without problem. I just enter "sudo
>> pm-hibernate" and it seems to work : after resume I have internet
>> through the ethernet card. sound. video.
>>
>> pm-suspend seems to work under X but not under a tty1. Is it normal ?
>> under X If I enter "sudo pm-suspend" then I resume, all seems to work.
>> But under a virtual terminal, I don't have the video after resume. is
>> there a trick ?
>
> This is somewhat expected.
>
> You're not using the experimental free noveau kernel mode-setting
> driver.  So the kernel can't restore the video card state.  You're
> relying on the proprietary X driver to restore the video card state.

I don't understand.
Under X (so with nvidia driver) it works great. But when I kill X...so
no more nvidia proprio driver. and I enter "sudo pm-suspend" on a tty. I
can't resume the video.

Is the framebuffer necessary to resume ?

> There are a couple of quirks like the "s3 bios" one, which may be used
> to try and get the BIOS to re-initialize the video card.  (You can
> find more about this in the documentation for the s2ram command on the
> SuSE wiki.)  But I wouldn't bother with it; there are many different
> combinations and there's no guarantee that you'll find a working one.

Thx for the tip.

>> When I press the fn+f2 button the eeepc goes to sleep. But I'm seeing in
>> the /etc/default/eeepc-script file that --quirk-s3-bios is used. Is
>> there a reason ? what does it add for an eeepc ?
>
> See above, I guess.  It's clearly not working on your machine.
>
>> I would like that my eeepc goes into suspend to ram when I close the
>> LID. I have seen the LID_CLOSE_ACTION= option. WHat is the right command
>> to enter ? I have try pm-suspend and I got a relativ serious problem :
>> the eeepc has brutally stopped with a temperature of 95°C...I don't know
>> exactly where is the problem. but it comes from the suspend. (I'm using
>> nvidia proprio driver)
>
> It's not very clear what you mean.  But I doubt there's much you can
> do about it, other than trying to installing the experimental noveau
> driver.  I don't see why pm-suspend should do that, other than a
> driver bug of some sort.

With the LID_CLOSE_ACTION= option : I mean I want that my computer go to
sleep when I close the lid. How I do that correctly ?

> If you want to isolate the problem, you should try the open source
> stable NV driver for X.  On some (most?) systems it is even able to
> resume the video card.  Even if it can't, you're saying your problem
> happens before resume, right?  So if it still happens, you would then
> be able to ask for help from the open-source devs.

This temperature problem was total new. And was not reproducible after
new test with suspend/resume. I will try to investigate further.

> Or ask on the NVIDIA forums.  Last time I looked they had a couple of
> active devs supporting their linux drivers there.

Yes I have found the nivida forums. I will post on it too.

Thx a lot
GiGGz