[Debian-eeepc-devel] saving battery

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:53:17 UTC 2010

On 14 February 2010 03:10, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> One other question I have:
>
> Does anyone know how I can turn off the webcam and the card reader, to
> save battery life? So stop power from going to these devices? (Command
> line solution would be best). I'm using eeepc 1008ha, but it probably is
> the same for most models...

I've never had the feeling that turning off the card reader saved
battery, anyway you can do that with
echo 0 > /sys/device/platform/eeepc/cardr
For the webcam, you can turn it off but the driver will turn it on
again on every boot.
I've seen that turning on usb autosuspend for the webcam yields almost
the same power saving; put the following line in a file in
/etc/udev/rules.d
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{bInterfaceClass}=="0e", ATTR{../power/level}="auto"
and from the next boot you should see a power saving of about 0.2-0.3W
Cheers,

Luca