[Debian-eeepc-devel] 1101ha

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sun Feb 21 21:44:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn writes:
>
> > On the other hand, it might just be me.  I may have missed something.
> > Come to think of it.  Do I need to tell the kernel on the cmdline to
> > not use all RAM (reserve some RAM for video)?
>
> i have never done so.
>
> > On the same thread (see above), I found some info about another (Intel
> > closed source, of course, what else could one expect?) driver, IEGD, for
> > which Intel doesn't advertize gma500 compatibility, but others do:
> >
> > 	http://www.nanoant.com/linux/compiling-kernel-iegd-10x-module-for-any-linux-distribution
>
> sounds interesting.

Yes, it might do, but it's more serious than that, IMO.

> let us know if you get gma500 working using it on your 1101ha.

I'm almost sure it may work.  One or more people have already done it, but
I won't go through those pains: register, name, company, address,
telephone number, e-mail address, and what not.  I simply refuse to.  And
I won't bother trying to fool Intel into giving me access to the sources
(which is, by the way possible; I made a lame attempt, I must admit).

Obviously, some people at Intel seem to be extra greedy.  It's just not
enough to sell the hardware.  They want more.  Or they're trying to hide
something.  What?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Best thing is, IMO, to
avoid to buy the s..t (hardware) they don't provide support for.

Yes, I was naive and bought the Asus/Intel junk, and I'm stuck with it
now :(  I have noone else but myself to blaim.  But I'll not prostitute
myself and dance to the music Intel/Asus is playing.  I'll chose what I
can go along with, within reason, or throw the s..t on a garbage dump
and blaim myself for ever buying it.

On the bright side, there are some people that put up with it.

--
Cristian