[Debian-eeepc-devel] Fw: another prerelease eeepc-live image ready for testing

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Jan 3 23:27:29 UTC 2010

Apparently Shawn intended this to go to the list ...

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:07:01 -0500
From: Shawn Lamson <shawn.lamson at gmail.com>
To: Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: [Debian-eeepc-devel] another prerelease eeepc-live image
ready for testing

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 09:08:14 -0400
Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> Thanks again for testing.
>
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 23:22:28 -0500
> Shawn Lamson <shawn.lamson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > sound (speaker channel) was at ~50%, so control with the Fn key combo did
> > not make audio usable (only increases master channel).
>
> Did you note that our instructions in the UsersGuide changed to indicate
> the assumptions we make about other channel levels and how to fix them?

I see that now - at first I just looked for major changes in the
document (new section etc...) ... I tried to see if `alsactl init`
might set everything to 100%, but it didn't , it still left "speaker"
at 67 (better than 59 but still not really audible, and still not
controlled by Fn+Audio)...

> > DPI was 133x135 "out of the box"
>
> We did nothing to change default DPI.  That's up to Xorg, and is
> determined by whatever the hardware reports.  I can't think of anything
> easy we could do here to adjust DPI, as we trust the hardware is
> reporting reasonable values.  If you think there's a bug in Xorg, one
> should be filed ...
I'm not really sure "what I'm after" here - just that the display seems
a little ungainly (large fonts, icons, menu fonts on iceweasel/xterm
etc..) I note that if I open a terminal, then sudo xterm, the resulting
terminal looks fine (except for it's toolbar size/font) ... maybe it's
an LXDE thing.

> > unable to boot or on AC battery (see my last email about PWR_CLOCK_AC=1
> > in eeepc-acpi-scripts)
>
> I guess we should blacklist 901c.  Does it have a
> distinct /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name so we can distinguish it from
> the 901?

just "901" and product_version just says "x.x" ... I did also try
running the eeebuntu image live, and I didn't have this problem with
running on AC power. (Darren had suggested at one point that my unit
might have a hardware issue).

> > disabling WiFi via Fn key froze the box, as did resume from suspend...
>
> We're working on that for eeepc-acpi-scripts 1.1.8.
>
> > I would still say there should be a quick & easy "interface" way to set the clock
> > via a dialog...
>
> Since it's a demo and not intended for daily use, no, I don't think
> that matters.  In a real install, you would be prompted for your
> timezone at install time by debian-installer.  I don't want to reinvent
> that.

granted - I guess if it's a demo, yeah.  I do note that gnome/kde
versions may be forthcoming, and some of the features/tweaks I'm
looking for may be more applicable to those.  I'm sure we all struggle
to find the right balance of desired features and streamlining.

Shawn

--
Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson at gmail.com