[Debian-eeepc-devel] Wireless abrubtly stopped working on 1000

Shawn Lamson shawn.lamson at att.net
Wed Jan 13 19:35:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:25:08 -0800
"Robert J. Macomber" <debian at rojoma.com> wrote:

> I have this fixed, to the extent that I can now connect to the access
> point again.  I still don't have much idea why it ever stopped working
> in the first place, but setting the access point to "WPA2-Mixed"
> instead of "WPA2-Personal" made the Eee happy again.  I *think* that
> means that for some reason either the Eee or the AP is doing something
> wrong with WPA2 and is falling back to WPA.

Hi Robert - this sounds more like the issues I have with finicky
wpa_supplicant (at least i think that's where the issue is).  At a high
level, the symptoms:
 - i'm connected via wifi at home (WPA/WPA2)
 - i travel, try to connect to a different access point (w/ mixed results)
 - i return home, try to connect to my own access point (w/ mixed results)
To re-connect at home I've tried disabling security on the access point,
wiping the password in wicd (my connection manager), restarting everything
and often it doesn't work.  Then I'll re-enable security, set a different
password, and voila - it connects...  I gave up on diagnosing/solving it
some months ago - if you get anywhere please post back.

(BTW I have 901 w/ RaLink Device 2790 and rt2860 driver)

Shawn

Shawn

--

Shawn Lamson