[Debian-eeepc-devel] wicd/network-manager/ifplugd: be careful out there :)

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Fri Jan 29 10:02:31 UTC 2010

wicd used to conflict with network-manager, but that changed with wicd
1.6.2.2-2.  See:

	http://bugs.debian.org/548978

I've moved from squeeze (testing) to sid (unstable) the other day.
Attempted to move away from network-manager and use wicd instead, as
wicd worked well for me on several other machines.  This one is an
asus eeepc 1101HA (yes, that one with the GMA500 graphics chip and
borken BIOS).  Kernel package linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 (2.6.32-5).

I ended up with having both packages (network-manager and wicd)
installed, both daemons running and a box that kept on connecting to
and disconnecting from my access point.

Some comment in bug#548978 indicates 'indeed there's no "conflicts"
between ifplugd and network-manager or wicd' and another one 'I fear
this will cause a whole lot of bugs from people wanting to completely
switch between the two'.

Don't know, didn't try, not interested to use both at the same time.

But I can confirm that removing network-manager and keeping and
configuring wicd gave me a clean connection to the access point.  I
should add I didn't notice any problems with the wired nic while
having both daemons running.

Cheers,

--
Cristian