[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jul 12 11:22:09 UTC 2010

On 07/12/2010 06:00 AM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> - Depend on a recent kernel:
>   actually, depending on linux-image>= 2.6.32 it's not error-proof,
> since an older kernel could still be installed and used. Moreover, it
> would force people using self-compiled kernels to install also the
> official image, which could be an hassle for models with small SSD.
> Maybe we could recommend it? Or just document it in NEWS.Debian.gz?

I'm not sure.  Ask the debian-kernel team what the "best practice" is?
I don't think kernels provide a sufficiently general virtual package
that we could use in a dependency (after all, there are multiple
flavours of kernel that might be suitable) without the tedious business
of listing all of them as alternatives (not to mention also updating the
dependency whenever the abi# changes).

I'm inclined to say we should just document it in NEWS.Debian.gz, in the
absence of other guidance.

> - Document prominently that closing the lid only locks the screen
> (I'll start preparing NEWS.Debian.gz)

Thanks.

> - Maybe see if acpi-support would be available to support the
> suspend-on-lid behaviour (opt-in)

That would be great.  File a bug and usertag it.

> - See if the mixer stuff can be generalized and moved to acpi-support
> (not a blocker, but would be nice)

Again, file a bug and usertag it.  Better to get input from the
acpi-support maintainers early than wait until we have a fully finished
patch.