[Debian-eeepc-devel] WPA support in installer: netcfg and wpasupplicant patches

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jun 21 15:03:45 UTC 2010

Will the Squeeze installer support WPA?

For some time, Glenn Saberton's patches have been available to support
WPA, but discussing this with Otavio on irc, he reminded me that we need
changes not only to netcfg, but also wpasupplicant.  Here's the last
message I could find dealing with the topic:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2009/12/msg00364.html

Unfortunately, only a patch for netcfg was provided at that time, and in
any case, the patch would undoubtedly need to be brought up-to-date again.

The git repos for both netcfg and wpasupplicant (now very out of date)
are here:

git://git.debian.org/git/debian-eeepc/netcfg.git
git://git.debian.org/git/debian-eeepc/wpasupplicant.git

It would be nice if this could make it into Squeeze, as one of the
distinctive features of the custom installer we (the Debian Eee PC team)
made for Lenny was that you could install over WPA.  Because of the
ultraportability of these machines and lack of optical drive, we found
many people wanted to be able to install wherever they were from the
network, and that mostly meant using wireless.  But we are dropping
support for this custom installer in Squeeze and now recommend that
people use the standard installer instead, so without support in the
standard installer, our users are now faced with a loss in functionality.

Thanks,