[Debian-eeepc-devel] 9156resolution stopped working after lenny->squeeze upgrade

Pedro Bulach Gapski pbgapski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:26:47 UTC 2010

Juha,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:
> Pedro Bulach Gapski writes:
>
>  > This is the same setup I have been using for a few months. Not great,
>  > but fair ;-)
>
> i just noticed that in debian squeeze, using X with fbdev driver
> glxgears reports only about 94 FPS, when in lenny it used to report
> about 200 FPS.  this is a big drop in performance.  the only difference
> seems to be that uvesafb module is not in use.

I have been on squeeze for a few months, updating regularly. The FPS
drop came with the upgrade to xserver-xorg 7.4, if I remember
correctly. However, it seems to be a fix on the numbers, because
noticeable performance has not decreased.

The performance I see on the ao751h with fbdev drivers is about the
same: 97 FPS on average. For comparison purposes, previous performance
with the uvesa drivers was about half that. So, at least on my box,
fbdev performs much better than uvesa. On the other hand, on my eeepc
900 with intel drivers, glxgears shows about 220 FPS.

If you feel adventurous and does not mind a closed-source driver, you
may try the intel IEGD driver:
http://www.nanoant.com/linux/compiling-kernel-iegd-10x-module-for-any-linux-distribution
Personally I have not tried it, but it *should* double your FPS
performance and give you brightness control and XV video.

Regards,

Pedro