[Debian-eeepc-devel] Xserver 1.7 and screen DPI

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 31 13:50:19 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 10:03 AM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> On the one hand, I feel that on a screen ad 135DPI reading fonts
> rendered at 96DPI is very hard, and could spoil the smooth experience
> one would like to have installing Debian.
> On the other hand, I see three problems:
> - automatically setting the proper resolution could be tricky.
> - it doesn't really belong to Debian-eee, it's a problem for every
> computer with a high resolution display.
> - doing tricks to revert an upstream choice is terribly bad.

Yes, for all of these reasons I don't think our project should do
anything about this.  It would be better to get agreement upstream, if
you think the new default is bad.  In fact, if the upstream default is
bad, I think hacking around it is just going to bury the problem.
Better that the users experience a little pain here to cause so more
noise and perhaps help upstream acknowledge there is a real problem they
must address.

> I write this post more to have some feedback about your feeling with
> the new X behaviour and discuss about long term solutions then to
> propose a stopgap fix - I'm not convinced the latter would be a good
> choice.
> I thought this list would be a good place since all the Eees have very
> high screen resolutions.

Just about the only help we can offer at this point to users is to
cross-reference the bug in our wiki and summarize, documenting the best
of the possible workarounds.  As for convincing upstream, will they
really pay attention to what our little project has to say, even if we
were all agreed that the new default is bad?  I'm unconvinced that
starting the discussion here is the best place.