[Debian-eeepc-devel] Install report: Squeeze on 1008HA

Thibaut Paumard mlotpot.news at free.fr
Thu May 6 07:58:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just installed Squeeze on a 1008HA originally shipping XP. I thought
you would be interested in some details.

I used CD1 of the most recent squeeze installer snapshot.

I was unable to get network up during install although the two
adapters were detected.

The hard drive was already partitioned with 3 primary partitions: 72Go
for "C:", 72 again for "D:" which is almost empty and can be used
safely for Linux, about 5.6Go for the (hidden) recovery partition
which grub detects as a second Windows XP installation.

After rebooting, I had trouble with:
  - the network: wifi networks would show up in network-manager, but
impossible to connect to them. I was able to connect manually though.
Network also failed to come back up after suspend.
  - hibernation: impossible to wake up.
  - sound: I could see the card in alsamixer, but no sound was coming
out.
  - I was unable to load the eeepc_laptop kernel module, which is
perhaps the root for the other problems.

I therefore installed an _older_ kernel, 2.6.30 instead of 2.6.32 and
all of the above mentioned problems vanished instantly.

The two drivers for the network card and the wifi adapter have to be
probed manually or in /etc/modules.

The touchpad was a little too touchy, which was solved by configuring
xorg to use the synaptics driver.

Finally, he webcam worked flawlessly in skype and emesene but not
aMSN. Mic doesn't work in emesene. The online messenger at imo.im
works fine (webcam and sound).

Regards, Thibaut.