[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:08:52 UTC 2010

On 13 May 2010 10:37, Santi Béjar <santi at agolina.net> wrote:

> I've upgraded through a local apt repository and everything went fine.
>
> The only "regression" was that the volume mute/up/down stopped working because
> of this commit:
>
> ef84e9c (Turn off volume handling by default, since it conflicts with most
> desktop environment., 2010-04-23)

Mm.
Right, if you hadn't changed /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts at all,
it gets updated with the new one, and the behaviour changes.

> Although I agree with the changes it is a regression and it has nothing to do
> with the compatibility with acpi-support. Maybe we can find a way to detect
> this the same way we detect if gnome-power-manager is running.

It's impossible, since every kind of program can grab the volume keys.
What I think we could do is preserve the old behaviour only on upgrade
from an older package, if the default file hasn't been changed. (this
should be easily done in postinst configure checking $2)
Then we can assume the user is fine with it.
The downside to it would be that the new default file would be marked
has changed, and not updated with new version from thereon (while the
user could rightly expect to have it always up-to-date)
I don't know which is the least evil.

Anyway I see that someone has been bitten by the double toggle thing #569720
This example also shows you why scripts in /etc are a bad thing: the
user thinks they're the place where you configure things. Obviusly the
right solution would have been to modify the defaults file, but he was
mislead by the fact that the script itself was a config file.

Santi, you have two choices:
one is install xfce4-volumed, the other is set some shortcuts in the
keyboard settings window:
i have "amixer sset 'Master' toggle" "amixer sset 'Master'  4+" and
"amixer sset 'Master' 4-"

Cheers,

Luca