[Debian-eeepc-devel] Disable old kernel version dependent options by default

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Nov 13 23:24:34 UTC 2010

After the recent debate over how to set LINUX_MINOR_REV, I think there's
a way we can just make that problem go away entirely.  How about we make
an option, per thing that may be handled differently by older kernels,
and disable it by default?  This kills two birds with one stone:

1. the problematic 'heavyweight' call to cut can go away

2. people using patched older versions of kernels have no surprises

The second point occurred to me as I was discussing fixing
detect_x_display on #debian-devel on irc.  We were talking about using
acpi_fakekey to send keycodes for acpi hotkeys that currently don't send
any.  Someone said "so what if the driver is fixed in a future kernel
and the hotkeys are mapped?"  I then proposed a kernel-version check to
differentiate between newer kernels that handle all hotkeys properly and
older kernels (e.g. 2.6.32) that don't.  But then it was pointed out to
me that users do use backports of modules with older kernels, so then my
check would fail.

Well, we use the kernel version check in exactly one place, here:

    # F2/F2 - toggle wireless
    0000001[01])
        if [ $LINUX_MINOR_REV -le 27 ]; then
                /etc/acpi/asus-wireless.sh || :
        fi
        ;;

Why don't we just have a 'handle_toggle_wireless' here and default that
option to NONE like the others?