[Debian-eeepc-devel] How to deal with the freeze?

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 10:24:57 UTC 2010

On 19 November 2010 11:07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Well, that hack was apparently used *instead of* passing 'hotkey' not in
> addition to.  So is it really correct to change $3 to $2 as you have
> just done?  I don't think so ...  $2 will just be 'hotkey'.

I did two things:
First, I modified the event file (that I had just copied from an old
revision) and removed the dash before %e (that gets expanded to the
event name). That was a hack to shift the button name (instead of
code) to $3, but now it's useless since we are not bound any more to a
fixed parameter position. I therefore changed $3 to $2. This is just a
style fix and doesn't change anything in the behaviour.
Second, I fixed the call to hotkey.sh, eliminating the offending dash.
If you look at the line
/usr/share/acpi-support/eeepc-acpi-scripts/hotkey.sh hotkey ASUS010:00
$hotkey $4
you can see that the hotkey code is indeed the third parameter, i.e.
the one that hotkey.sh checks.
$4 is the event counter, which we don't use, but I put it there for consistency.

> Upstream can make those keys do whatever he wants, so I don't think this
> is the reason.

But I suspect  they are managed at a more general level (ACPI
subsystem), so I don't know how freely new buttons can be added.
Cheers,

Luca