[Debian-eeepc-devel] grub2 special on EEEPC?

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Sun Jan 16 09:05:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I changed to grub-pc on my notebooks, and I wondered, that grub-pc behaves on
my EEEPC other than on my notebook.

As I am using my own starting picture, I changed /usr/share/images/desktop-
base/grub_background.sh pointing it to my own picture.

This is configured on any system. But on my EEEPC I found a file called
/boot/grub/.background_cache.png. As the system behaves as I wished, I suppose
it is made for speed purposes and wanted so. Does someone know where to
set/unset this?

Second thing: I tried to change resolution in /etc/default/grub, but due to my
graphics card, KMS will not work. When starting up, I get the well known
warning,

ifb: conflicting fb hw usage inteldrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver

Question: If actvating KMS in grub and force the remove as above, does it
affect the graphics driver soemhow (i.e. slower rendering). Should KMS not to
be used at all on I915-cards?  I know, that the driver is using the native
resolution at startup, when it is loaded, but it looks nicer, when the the
resolution is set to my choice at the very beginning.

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Hans

P.S. Thank you all for the work, to make these nifty netbooks so much useful!