[Debian-eeepc-devel] `.background_cache.png` and GRUB 2 (was: grub2 special on EEEPC?)

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Sun Jan 16 15:36:18 UTC 2011

Am Sonntag, 16. Januar 2011 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Dear Hans,

Hello Paul!
> Am Sonntag, den 16.01.2011, 10:05 +0100 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:
> > I changed to grub-pc on my notebooks, and I wondered, that grub-pc
> > behaves on my EEEPC other than on my notebook.
> >
> > As I am using my own starting picture, I
> > changed /usr/share/images/desktop-base/grub_background.sh pointing it
> > to my own picture.
>
> The script is in
>
>         $ dpkg -S "grub_background"
>         desktop-base: /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh
>
> without `images/` and the variable is set as follows.
>
>         WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png

Yes, I changed this script to my own needs, pointing to my own picture.

> > This is configured on any system. But on my EEEPC I found a file
> > called
> >
> > /boot/grub/.background_cache.png. As the system behaves as I wished, I
> > suppose it is made for speed purposes and wanted so. Does someone know
> > where to set/unset this?
>
> I searched for `.background_cache.png` and found ticket #605705.
>
> It seems to be set in
>
>         $ dpkg -S /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
>         grub-pc: /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
>
> since `grub2` `1.98+20100804-11` [2, same changes as in [1] but
> differences are inlined in message].
>
>         +# Set the location of a possibly necessary cache file for the
> background image. +# NOTE: This MUST BE A DOTFILE to avoid confusing it
> with user-defined images. +BACKGROUND_CACHE=".background_cache"
>         +
>         +set_default_theme(){
>         +	# Set the traditional Debian blue theme.
>         +	echo "${1}set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue"
>         +	echo "${1}set menu_color_highlight=white/blue"
>          }
>
> Is/Was `/usr` on an encrypted partition on your Eee PC?

You are right! /usr is on an encrypted partition, besides, my partitions on
every of my systems are encrypted. Maybe this is ok so, I will watch it, if
the behaviour changes on my systems after the next upgrade of grub-pc.

> […]
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=605705