[Debian-eeepc-devel] Iceweasel, Galeon freezing up

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Sun Jan 23 11:14:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

David L. Johnson wrote:
> Stupid question, I suppose, but I hadn't seen it in this list, so
> thought maybe someone has seen this and/or could give me a direction to
> look to fix it.

Doesn't sound familiar here (701 EeePC, 2 GB RAM, no SD card, Sid).

> Lately, on my EEE 701 (with 1G ram and an 8G sd card), using debian
> squeeze that is updated regularly (as in today), and using gnome (well,
> not the whole thing, but what will fit), I have had steadily worsening
> behavior with both iceweasel and now galeon.  I can look at one webpage,
> maybe two, but then it freezes and will not come back even after a long
> wait.

I use Conkeror (with a C) which uses the same rendering engine as
Galeon and Iceweasel and it freezes very, very seldomly.

> I went to using galeon since iceweasel has been so prone to these
> freezes, but now even galeon is freezing up.  I seem to see this whether
> or not the computer is connected wirelessly or on a wired connection.  I
> can still do other web things, and both ssh and icedove have no trouble,
> so it does not seem to really be a connection problem.

Does the whole X freeze, or only the browser? If X, it would be
interesting to hear which X driver you use. (Probably Intel but there
are other options.)

> I would suspect that some library is mismatched or something, but my
> desktop computer (same release of debian, same gnome) does not show any
> problem.

Which would also be explainable by a different X driver.

> I'd suspect that my non-complete gnome desktop is a problem (I
> don't have room for evolution or other programs I don't use),

No, I don't think that. Especially Iceweasel does not depend on GNOME
at all.

> I got the machine in Summer '08, and immediately put debian testing
> on it, and have been using it that way since.

Same here, just with Sid instead of Testing. :)

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin