[Debian-eeepc-devel] can't get a word in edgewise during intense CPU jobs

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Thu Jul 28 19:51:53 UTC 2011

On my EEEPC 702, I find say a few minute long
aptitiude full-upgrade
is enough to make the whole computer so slow as to even cause some
xwindows to not 'hear' what I type into them. I can still switch to them
with ALT TAB, but not it's often hard to get a word in edgewise until
the apt stuff stops. Even apt-get update with a lot of pdiffs is the
same. Yes I tried nice(1).
So it is something about the CPU on EEEPC 702 + Debian sid that makes it
do the intense jobs even intenser than my other computers.
Actually top(1) doesn't say it is the CPU that is the necessarily busy
part... Yes, I'm talking about after downloading, during the package installing.