[Debian-eeepc-devel] 1201PN Fn key problems

Perry Thompson rypervenche at yahoo.fr
Tue May 3 03:21:40 UTC 2011

I have an Asus EeePC 1201PN running Debian 6.0.1 stable. I have followed
the guides from http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC with much success.
However, I am still having problems with my Fn keys. Originally, my
brightness Fn keys and my blackout screen Fn key worked fine, however my
volume up, down, and mute Fn keys did nothing. I asked in the IRC
channel and it took me a while to figure out that I needed to add
acpi_osi=Linux to get the eeepc_laptop module loaded.

That fixed my volume keys, however in my quest to find the problem, I
did something to mess up my mute Fn key, my blackout screen Fn key, and
my brightness Fn keys. Mute works kind of backward, it I press it while
a song is playing, it mutes it but shows that it's not muted, when I
press it again it will unmute it for a split-second then remute it. If I
press the volume up or down Fn keys it will play sound again, but it
shows the X on it that it is muted. The blackout screen Fn key just
plain doesn't work, and the brightness keys no longer show the
notification (the bar of how bright it is).

I have noticed that my notification-daemon is not running when I run my
system as well. Here is some information that may prove useful to anyone
who can help me.

The only things I can think of that I may have done to cause this are
update my BIOS and purge acpi-support and eeepc-acpi-scripts back and
forth trying to find where my problem lay. I since reinstalled an old
BIOS (I think it was the one I had had before), but it changed nothing.

I also tried purging acpi-fakekey and rfkill which are required by
acpi-support and eeepc-acpi-scripts, respectively.

When I remove the acpi_osi=Linux everything works perfectly normal
again, aside from the non-working volume Fn keys, which is to be
expected, so I think it has something to do with the eeepc_laptop module
or acpi.

Also, I don't know if this will help at all, but it looked like it could
have a little information.

rypervenche at debian:/sys/devices/platform/eeepc$ dmesg | grep eee
[    8.224256] eeepc_laptop: Eee PC Hotkey Driver
[    8.224620] eeepc_laptop: Hotkey init flags 0x41
[    8.224814] eeepc_laptop: TYPE (2000000) not reported by BIOS,
enabling anyway
[    8.229548] eeepc_laptop: PANELPOWER (4000000) not reported by BIOS,
enabling anyway
[    8.229619] eeepc_laptop: TPD (8000000) not reported by BIOS,
enabling anyway
[    8.229624] eeepc_laptop: Get control methods supported: 0xe001613
[    8.229631] eeepc_laptop: Error reading CAMG
[    8.229754] eeepc_laptop: Backlight controlled by ACPI video driver
[    8.229940] input: Asus EeePC extra buttons as
/devices/platform/eeepc/input/input7

Please, if anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. I have been
at this for a good week and I finally got most of my problems solved
with having Debian on an EeePC until this little thing reared its ugly
head. Thank you in advance, and please let me know if there is any more
information I can provide you with to help solve this.

P.S. This is my first time using a mailing list, so please let me know
if I make any faux pas.