[Debian-eeepc-devel] Squeeze Net-Install Fails

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Sep 2 17:13:32 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 01:54 PM, Kent Frazier wrote:
> I used Unetbootin for windows to create the bootable USB. It gave the
> option do download and install the stable net-install iso which I did.
> I'm afraid I don't have the URL to that image.  I'll try downloading the
> image myself and see what happens.

Please do not use Unetbootin. It's extraordinarily easy to shoot
yourself in the foot with it, and the processing it does to turn ISO
images into bootable USB images is unnecessary as well, since Debian now
makes 'ISO hybrid' images that can be directly imaged to your USB key:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

I'm disappointed to find the install guide has no pointers as to how to
do this on Windows. I've helped a few Windows users struggle through
writing USB images using various tools, and it seems there were problems
with each of them. This one looks promising, but not being a Windows
user myself, I can't say whether it's any better than the others or not:

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer