[Debian-eeepc-devel] Leaving debian-eeepc project

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sat Sep 17 15:49:07 UTC 2011

-=| Paul Menzel, 15.09.2011 12:44:32 +0200 |=-
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.09.2011, 10:17 +0200 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 15.09.2011, 10:36 +0300 schrieb Damyan Ivanov:
> > > Since some time I own no EeePC, making it unlikely for me to
> > > work on the related packages.
> >
> > thank you very much for all your work and support.

Thanks everybody for your kind words.

> … and it would be interesting what kind of system you use currently
> and why (price, quality, better support, …).

I was forced to replace the EeePC 901 for reasons beyond my control.
I used the occasion for choosing something with slightly larger
screen, *not* shipped with Microsoft software, light and with good
battery life. I was pretty sure I can run Debian on any notebook
(naive? maybe :).

I ended up getting a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge NVY3JBM
  http://laptop-market.eu/product/67/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-nvy3jbm-black-11-inch.html

All in all, it is not bad.

Good sides:
 - all the special keys just work (in GNOME). The audio is also well
   supported without any hacks.
 - There is an HDMI video output, which also "just works". When you
   plug it into an external monitor, it is added on the side of the
   desktop (or copies the integrated screen image, depending on the
   gnome settings).

Not so good sides:
 - the wireless chip requires non-free firmware (If I knew that before
   buying I would considered other models).
 - the advertised 6hr battery life is way too much. In my experience
   the standard battery can give about 2hr, maybe 2hr30min.

Not bad piece of hardware, but If I have to choose again, I'd choose
another. The good old 901s are currently about half of the price and
oh, so light and good :)

Cheers!