[Debian-eeepc-devel] Some function keys not working on asus eee 1215T

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Sep 20 14:28:31 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 10:45 AM, Cristian Rigamonti wrote:
> So I'm not sure if this is a problem in eeepc_wmi or if I have to tweak the acpi
> or eeepc-acpi-scripts configuration. (I'm especially interested into the LCD
> turn off an switch keys)

Further to Corentin's remarks, eeepc-acpi-scripts should do the *least*
possible to make things work on the Eee. So if you can use 'showkey' to
see a key event, then your WM or DE should support mapping that key
rather than falling back to using acpi scripts. In particular, any keys
that have had to manipulate the X environment have historically done a
rather bad job at it*, and so we want to phase those out of
eeepc-acpi-scripts.

Ben
* Either they fail to set up the X auth correctly in some contexts or
else they implement a behaviour that the DE is unaware of and actively
fights against, rendering the attempted toggle null and void. So it
seems better to just let the DE/WM handle these as normal input events
so they can each do things their own way.