[Debian-eeepc-devel] Some function keys not working on asus eee 1215T

Cristian Rigamonti cri at linux.it
Tue Sep 20 18:17:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:52:29AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Which version of eeepc-acpi-scripts are you using?

The 1.1.11 package from Debian testing.

> Did you see my  earlier note in this thread, posted this morning?

Just seen it (sorry I wasn't yet subscribed to the list); of course I can use my
window manager settings to overcome the keys, but I was looking for a more
general solution (BTW the LCD backlight keys are currently working OK both in X
and in the console).

Anyway, I dug a bit into the scripts and maybe they need to be fixed to work
with newer eee models using the eeepc_wmi module; for example:

- /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts contains:

    FnF_VGATOGGLE='handle_vga_toggle'

- /usr/share/acpi-support/eeepc-acpi-scripts/vga-toggle.sh contains:

    test -d /sys/bus/platform/devices/eeepc || exit 0
    # do nothing if package is removed

  But this directory doesn't exist on my system, though the package is
  installed. /sys/bus/platform/devices/eeepc-wmi exists instead.

  Tests for the existence of this directory are found in other scripts of the
  package (including the /etc/init.d script).

  I fixed all occurrences that I could find (replacing with:
  test -d /sys/bus/platform/devices/eeepc* || exit 0 ), restarted the service
  but I still can't get any results.

  (I now get a warning about pciehp on service startup:

    Error inserting pciehp (/lib/modules/3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp.ko):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) ... (warning).

    dmesg says:  pciehp: Unknown parameter `pciehp_slot_with_bus'

  but maybe this is not relevant; I guess because I'm running linux 3.0 and the
  init script doesn't support it yet).

This makes me wonder that maybe there are other parts of the package to be
updated in order to work with newer eee models using the eeepc_wmi module.

Another example: some scripts try to use /sys/class/backlight/eeepc/brightness but
that doesn't exist either on my system.

Yet another one: /etc/acpi/if-asus-not-eee.sh from the "acpi-support" package
contains the same test (I also fixed this, but no results).

Hope this helps!

Cri

--
GPG/PGP Key-Id 0x943A5F0E      -    http://www.linux.it/~cri/cri.asc