[Debian-eeepc-devel] Eee PC 1015B: Freeze on wake

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 4 11:05:57 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 04.04.2012, 21:08 +1200 schrieb Aidan Gauland:

[…]

> After returning my 1015BX and getting a 1015B Eee PC, I have a hardware
> compatibility problem (at least I think it's a hardware problem):
> sometimes on wakeup from sleep, the system freezes and can only be reset
> by removing the battery; holding the power button shuts it off, but it
> comes back frozen instead of cold booting when I press it again.

What does “freeze” mean? The display stays black, you cannot ping it, no
LEDs light up and you hear just the fans?

> There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the freezes, so I haven't been
> able to find a workaround.

How reproducible is the freeze? Once a day?

> I'm using Gnome3, so whatever backend that uses is what I'm using for
> suspend (I'm assuming pm-utils).  I know pm-utils has some workaround
> for hardware "quirks," but I can't figure out how to enable them
> system-wide (so it's used when I suspend from Gnome).

Since it works sometimes, I believe quirks are not necessary. Also
nowadays quirks should not be needed anymore and pm-utils is not
actively developed anymore.

> I have found only a couple brief mentions of Eee PCs freezing when
> suspending GNU/Linux, and had no success with the Linux-users lists I am
> on, which is why I am resorting to pestering the Debian Eee PC team.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this freeze occurs often
> enough that if I can't find a workaround, I will have to find a
> different model laptop.

You have not told us yet what software stack you are running and a
link/overview of the hardware would be nice too.

1. My *guess* would be some issue with the graphics (driver) stack. You
could try to run with the VESA driver and test if this issue occurs with
that.

2. Anyway you should submit a bug report against the Linux kernel
package (`reportbug linux-image-…`), since the Kernel is responsible for
correct wake up as far as I know. Make sure to fill out the correct user
tags which is documented in the Wiki [1].

Make sure you supply useful logs. Is there something in
`/var/log/pm-suspend.log`?

3. You can test different versions of the software stack for example by
using live systems and test if this is a regression.

4. Have you seen reports from other 1015B users?

5. Try to use the netconsole of the Linux kernel and try to capture more
information.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Bugs/About