[Debian-eeepc-devel] Use `noisapnp` to save 0, 4 seconds on your boot time

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 1 10:11:10 UTC 2012

Dear Debian Eee PC folks,

following an article about Boot Tracer and Bootchart in the current
issue of the German Linux Magazin 9/2012 [1], on my Eee PC 701 4G I
captured the output of Boot Tracer [2]. Just add

    initcall_debug printk.time=1

to the Linux command line by editing for example `/etc/default/grub` and
run `sudo update-grub` afterward.

It looks like the default Debian Linux kernel still contains routines to
initialize the ISA subsystem.

If I am not mistaken, such devices are not supported by all Eee PC
systems and therefore the option `noisapnp` should be safely added to
the Linux kernel command line.

I attach three SVG files as an example.

Thanks,

Paul

PS: As some of your remember there was a thread some years ago that
booted an Eee PC in five seconds. Although it might be that the custom
built Linux kernel image already did *not* include the ISA stuff.

[1] http://www.linux-magazin.de/Heft-Abo/Ausgaben/2012/09/Kern-Technik
[2] http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_28#head-c55522a93da905261246a78a2d900c3e6b6c0a5a
[3] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob;f=scripts/bootgraph.pl;h=b78fca994a15947a53a4c8438acabdbf771181ff;hb=HEAD