[Debian-eeepc-devel] I've been having trouble booting wheezy on my ASUS 1000HE.

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri May 25 11:00:42 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 10:43 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> What happens with the new kernel is that it boots, but at the end of the
> boot sequence, it gives me a login screen that invites me to enter my
> user name.  The screen seems subtly malformed -- it looks as if it has
> been stretched horizontally, and the little wheel that marks the mouse
> position is an ellipse.

This sounds like you're missing xserver-xorg-video-intel and are falling
back to -vesa or something. Failing that, maybe a wrong boot option (do
not disable KMS ... recent Xorg needs that!)

> But the real problem comes when I actually try
> to log in.  It is totally unresponsive to the keyboard and the mouse.

This sounds like you are missing xserver-xorg-input-evdev. It used to be
that -input-kbd and -input-synaptics handled keyboard and
touchpad/mouse, but now evdev handles everything.

I'm not sure why the problems appear to you be related to the kernel. It
sounds to me much more likely that they are Xorg-related. That being
said, modern Xorg and kernel work in close concert with each other so
that a mismatch in versions and/or packages installed can lead to
strange behaviours such as you reported.

Always pay careful attention when doing upgrades as to which packages
apt/aptitude says will be removed. Make sure it makes sense. Doubly so
when you're running testing or unstable.