[Debian-eeepc-devel] kernel 3.2.0 and eeepc_laptop problem

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Mon Mar 18 10:21:23 UTC 2013

Dear maintainers,

I am using an EEEPC 1005 HGO. As kernekl module eeepc-wmi does not support my
hardware, I switched back to kernel module eeepc-laptop by using the well
known "acpi_osi='Linux'"-command in grub.

This was working fine, as wished, the fan did not run, when the cpu was in low
temperature.

But now it seems, that there is some problem with the kernel. Although I can
still run fancontrol, it looks like the fan is not good controlled any more.
However it might be a configuration issue.

Here are the results of pwm-config command:

-------- snip --------

root at protheus7:~# pwmconfig
# pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

Found the following devices:
   hwmon0 is acpitz
   hwmon1 is eeepc
   hwmon2/device is coretemp

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon1/pwm1

Giving the fans some time to reach full speed...
Found the following fan sensors:
   hwmon1/fan1_input     current speed: 4032 RPM

Warning!!! This program will stop your fans, one at a time,
for approximately 5 seconds each!!!
This may cause your processor temperature to rise!!!
If you do not want to do this hit control-C now!!!
Hit return to continue:

Testing pwm control hwmon1/pwm1 ...
  hwmon1/fan1_input ... speed was 4032 now 4033
    no correlation

No correlations were detected.
There is either no fan connected to the output of hwmon1/pwm1,
or the connected fan has no rpm-signal connected to one of
the tested fan sensors. (Note: not all motherboards have
the pwm outputs connected to the fan connectors,
check out the hardware database on http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php)

Did you see/hear a fan stopping during the above test (n)? y

Testing is complete.
Please verify that all fans have returned to their normal speed.

The fancontrol script can automatically respond to temperature changes
of your system by changing fanspeeds.
Do you want to set up its configuration file now (y)?

----------- snap ---------

And here is my /etc/fancontrol.conf

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=5
DEVPATH=hwmon0= hwmon1=devices/platform/eeepc
DEVNAME=hwmon0=acpitz hwmon1=eeepc
FCTEMPS= hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon0/temp1_input
FCFANS= hwmon1/pwm1=
MINTEMP= hwmon1/pwm1=50
MAXTEMP= hwmon1/pwm1=65
MINSTART= hwmon1/pwm1=50
MINSTOP= hwmon1/pwm1=50
~

Still the problem, that fan is not starting at temp over 65 degrees. I guess,
I made a mistake in the configuration file somewhere. Otherwise it is a bug.

IMPORTANT: I found out, that the configuration file MUST be named to
/etc/fancontrol.conf - due to kernel regulations! ALL documentations I found,
are telling of old /etc/fancontrol (without ".conf"), which does NOT work.

Maybe it should be correctd in the documentations.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards

Hans