[Debian-hebrew-common] installation fails on Sarge?

amos at amos.mailshell.com amos at amos.mailshell.com
Mon Aug 8 08:59:24 UTC 2005

(Kobi has kindly replied to me in person by mistake, here is my
reply to him on the list after clarifying this with him).

On 8/7/05, kobi zamir
<kobi_zamir.at.yahoo.com at amos.at.amos.mailshell.com> wrote:

> My sourse.list:

It turned out that I forgot to update the sources.list line to "stable"
after re-copying it from the web page.

debian-hebrew installed smoothly after fixing that.

It could be that my mistake was to use "aptitude" (in the first
time) instead of apt-get (the second time).

> > an "interactive" or
> > "run some parts" command line option?
>
> We can add flag --forign to the script that will not
> assume israel, we already have flag --enabled, will it
> solve the problem ?

Yes it will in this instance.
I was just thinking of generalizing the command-line switch
idea and allowing the user to enable/disable each part
(and now that I think of the implementation it might be nice to
have each part in a script of its own with "hebrew-settings"
meraly running all the requested scripts).

> > my main interest
> > in it is in finding if I can make the KDE keyboard
> > use alt-shift to switch
> > languages without resorting to editing configuration
> > files.
>
> Did you try the kkbdswitch KDE applet ? i do not know
> kde that good. any way you can run the script to set
> the keys and then just repair the timezone and locale
> to yours (use --enables if you want latin interface).

Are you talking about that applet which shows the flag of the
"current keyboard country" on the kicker panel? I tried it but
couldn't convince it to configure Alt-Shift to swtich layouts.

> Kobi.

Thanks,

--Amos