[Debian-hebrew-common] Re: what is hebrew localized debian ?

Baruch Even baruch at debian.org
Fri Jul 22 15:48:06 UTC 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:13:04AM -0700, kobi zamir wrote:
>>X with no keyboard and no panel applet for keyboard
>>settings.
>

> How were the X configuration created? Maybe it should have some
> language-dependent parts in the keyboard definitions?

I remember reading that there is an ongoing issue for debian-installer
and X11 and it is planned to be done, but it needs to be pushed for.

We can and should create our own CDD which will "fix" this by using
preseeding, but we should also strive to have this properly done in the
installer for all languages.

>>GNOME/KDE desktops align to left (see mandrivas
>>screenshot, it is the same in debian):
>>http://ehad.berlios.de/newsite/shots/desktop/ehad2005-desktop-06.png
>>
>>No spell checkers, _no english_ and no hebrew.
>>and no other hebrew related software installed.
>

> This is because there exists no package called 'task-hebrew', or
> something similar. Check for other languages.

I think that there is no real intention to add more tasks, there are
plenty of tasks already and adding a task per language is not going to
be a good idea, we shouldn't even bother pushing towards this as this
doesn't give us much advantage over a simple meta package.

We'll be good as long as the user can do:
apt-get install debian-hebrew && make-my-hebrew-work

>>On our cdd-install we can preseed the locales package
>>to create the locales we need and set the default
>>system locale.
>>If the system is already installed with en locale we
>>can create a script to do this.
>

> You should not try to fix such problems just in the installer. Doing
> thaty means ignoring the poor users who upgrade.

Disagree, the installer is an important option for us to help new users.

The thought is to have the meta-package and a conversion script to
handle the upgraders.

>>b. The deb X-config does not create a (us,il) keyboard
>
> This is a bug of the configuration script of org-server or something
> similar.

The X config script offers such an option but it's a raw option and
normal users wouldn't know what to put in there. We'll need to workout a
 scheme that will work for all languages and propose it to the X packagers.

> Oh: the variant si1452 is the wrong way to go, IMHO.

Can we have a short document with pros/cons of lyx/si1452 layouts?
Should we offer this choice to the user? What does windows do?

>>The new versions of debian-installer (svn) support
>>bidi scripts (I think they do) is it a problem to use
>>the non-sarge versions ?
>

> Sarge's installer support bidi as well, basically. There is a problem
> with alignment, and maybe the issue of UTF-8 .

I'd be content for now to say that we work on a testing (etch) version,
and once we have something that works there we can go back and create a
CDD with sarge.

At the end since this is intended to be a desktop platform, testing is
the way to go in my opinion. Relatively stable, gets some security fixes
and is pretty up-to-date.

We can work off from sid until xorg and gcc4 transition clear and then
go to testing.

Baruch