[Debian-hebrew-common] A note on the debian-hebrew repository

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Sun Jul 24 16:22:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

When we upload something to the debian-hebrew repository and peoples
actually use it we need to make sure that we do not cause problems for
their future updates.

So for example we should *not* have the packages there with the same
version number that the package will have later on. If we take libhdate
for example, the one in the repository now has -1 for it's debian
version. But when we upload the fully fixed version to the Debian
repository the users will not get to upgrade to it because the Debian
version will be the same!

So next time when we upload a package that we don't control the version
of we should be using the NMU style numbers i.e -0.1 so that users will
get the preview versions from us, but when the version hits the Debian
archive they will get to upgrade to the Debian version.

Thanks,
Baruch