[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Baruch Even baruch at debian.org
Mon Nov 13 09:08:20 CET 2006

* Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> [061113 09:19]:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:34:25PM +0200, Baruch Even wrote:
> > * Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> [061031 15:28]:
> > >
> > > Isn't it what debconf(7) is for?
> >
> > No. debconf is for the configuration of a package, here we don't want to
> > configure a package but rather configure the system externally to the
> > packages that need to be configured.
>
> Debconf is not only for specific packages. Take a look at the
> base-config scripts (/usr/lib/base-config/menu) .
>
> Debconf is for system-wide configuration. E.g: it could be preseeded to
> automate installations.

While that is true, we actually ned to change configuration of another
package from our package, that's something that is usually frowned upon
in Debian as packages have ownership of their configuration. base-config
is a rather special case since it is part of the installation process
and not a normal package that is being installed.

Our approach was to have a program in user-he that the user runs when he
wants to configure the system for Hebrew, it makes more sense to me that
way rather than have our own package installation changing configuration
of other packages on install.

Cheers,
Baruch