[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Mon Oct 30 21:30:49 CET 2006

Lior Kaplan wrote:
> Baruch and I already talked about this in the past, and the desicion was
> to leave the package as is. The reason for this is that:
>
> 1. It is for newbies, which should do a minimal steps possible for
> having Hebrew support. We don't want them to know anything about package
> dependencies types.

Point 3 totally negates this point. Both apt-get install and aptitude
install "Recommends" dependencies by default.
> 2. We don't want to work with too many meta packages (user-he-base,
> user-he-gnome, user-he-kde ...).

I understand.
> 3. aptitude treat recommends as depends since it installs the recommends
> packages by default, so we take advantage of that when possible.

How is that strengthening your point?

At the moment, if I select "user-he", I get almost all of KDE. If I try
to remove KDE, I need to uninstall user-he. That makes zero sense.

At least downgrade to Recommends, which means that if I select user-he I
get most of KDE, but if I unselect KDE user-he is still installable.

Also, semantically, it is not true that user-he depends on any single
one of those packages. I really think this needs to be reconsidered, or
"user-he" will not be a package where one can recommend to install it.

Shachar