[Debian-hebrew-common] Debian Configuration and keyboard support

U Z uz at ant.co.za
Tue Sep 11 22:11:20 UTC 2007

Hi all

I run current Debian stable (etch), testing (lenny) and unstable (sid)
on a small network comprising a couple of Celeron and a few P I boxes.

All have English US keyboards.

I need to support Hebrew for some of the users.

I installed (I hope) the appropriate locales:
> falcon:~# locale -a
> en_GB.utf8
> en_US.utf8
> he_IL.utf8
> POSIX
I also installed and configured both KDE and Gnome to support Hebrew
(for the appropriate users)

Iceape and OpenOffice have Hebrew menues and settings.

OpenOffice was installed with bidi support.

I can "type" Hebrew (in OpenOffice) by inserting a character at a time
but am unable to get the keyboard to switch to Hebrew and touch type.

I tried, extensively, "RTFM"ing and "Googling" but was unable to find
reliable info about properly supporting Hebrew, on an otherwise English
installation with a US English "QWRTY" keyboard.

Could anyone please point me in the correct direction?

TIA

UZ

uz at ant dot co dot za