[Debian-hebrew-common] Debian Configuration and keyboard support

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:35:04 UTC 2007

On 12/09/2007, U Z <uz at ant.co.za> wrote:

>  Amos Shapira wrote:
>
> On 12/09/2007, U Z <uz at ant.co.za> wrote:
>
> > I can "type" Hebrew (in OpenOffice) by inserting a character at a time
> > but am unable to get the keyboard to switch to Hebrew and touch type.
>

> Try installing user-he. It contains a script to configure X11 to switch
> keyboard layout with Windows-style Alt-shift.
>
> ---Amos
>
>   שלום עמוס
>
> apt-get update; apt-get install user-he; hebrew-settings
>

> :~# apt-get install user-he
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> user-he is already the newest version.
>

> עכשיו כבר עובד
> תודה רבה
>
> Would help if I could find a Hebrew keyboard layout map and possibly a
> touch type tutor.
>
> יעזור אם אוכל למצוא מפה של מקלדת עברית ותוכניה ללמוד כתבנות

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Hebrew

for a map. If you find a GOOD program that teaches Hebrew touch typing on
Linux I'd be interested to know about it.
I'm in a bit similar situation - living abroad with no ready access to
keyboards with Hebrew letters, need to learn Hebrew touch typing to be able
to communicate in Hebrew effectively.

It might be worth asking on linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il (and/or check their
archives first, and wear your thick(er) skin when you go there).

כל טוב

> שנה טובה וגמר חתימה טובה

Shana tova to you too.

Regards