[Debian-hebrew-common] Debian Edu/Skolelinux in Israel?

Oded Naveh skilinux at gmail.com
Sun May 31 00:39:28 UTC 2009

Ralf and I had a conversation off list,
In a latter reply Ralf has suggested I'll make this public.
Ralf, you'd may wish to repost your reply.

I'd like to stress that advice would be welcome.
Here it is:

[RalfGesellensetter - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:06 PM]

> Dear Oded,
>
> how are you? Do you know of any Debian Edu/Skolelinux schools in
> Isreal? There is no red dots on
> http://skolelinux.no/slschools/cartography.html yet. Would be great
> if you could change this ;)
>
> Kind regards
> Ralf.

Hello Ralf,

I'm doing fine, unlike Debian Edu in Israel.
There are no schools here using Debian Edu that I know of, there's only my
demo/test site in one classroom, but it's not being used.
This month I started making contacts as I don't have any "connections", yet
this is not one of my long suites.

I expect penetration to be difficult, Israel is a Microsoft stronghold and
schools are reluctant to implement changes, I must obtain support either
from the authorities or from  some commercial body that may allow to offer
incentives to schools to adopt a new system.

However, it seems that the authorities gradually realize the benefits of
FOSS in education and are becoming aware of the trend to adopt it in many
countries.
I'm only certain that we have an adequate solution for a real problem and
therefore believe that it would prevail.

I'm looking forward to mark the first red dot, though it's not yet here I'll
do my best to promote Debian Edu and change this.
I would welcome any advice.

Thanks for your interest, Odd.