[Debian-hebrew-package] Debian-Hebrew Upload Policy

Lior Kaplan kaplanlior at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:45:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'll take the request bellow to give more details about the project
upload policy (which is a common spirit among other DDs).

When a package is uploaded, we prefer to wait for it to enter testing
before uploading the next version (at least 10 days). Unless there's a
serious problem with the unstable version or the package won't move to
testing from some other reason (e.g. failed to build on some arch).

The logic is to have the most update version in testing because:
1. We want to ensure our software will be in the next Debian version
(the ultimate goal).
2. We want testing to have our most updated version. If we upload before
version x entered testing, the upload resets the "testing counter" for
version x+1.

Example:
I delayed an upload of new binding for hocr because adding these binding
will force us to go through the NEW queue. Meaning a (possibly) major
delay until the package will enter unstable (and testing later). At the
time hocr was in testing (reason #1), but had version 0.4.6-1 while the
upload was version 0.7.1-1 (a major leap in features).

Having version 0.7.1-1 in testing is more important than having the
bindings (reason #2).

Version 0.8-1 includes the binding and now waits in the NEW queue. Until
it will be in unstable, version 0.7.1-1 should enter testing. If that
won't happen the gap between testing and unstable will only get larger
with the trade off of unstable to have more recent version.

All the projects' package status can be viewed here:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Debian+Hebrew

You can see the version numbers in stable,testing,unstable (also
incoming and NEW). And you can see the reason why a package isn't in
testing.

I hope this mail makes some of the decisions more clear for everyone.