[Debian-hebrew-package] hocr bugfixing
oron at actcom.co.il
Sun Jul 11 22:58:10 UTC 2010
There are a bunch of bug-reports against libhocr Fedora package
which I maintain:
Some of these bugs were trivial enough to fix, so I fixed them.
There are still some problem with this approach:
* There is no central location for these patches. On the project
page (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/hocr/) the "submit bugs"
entry report that the bug tracker is turned off for this project.
* Same goes for discussion forums.
* No mailing list.
* No release of patched source code for almost 2 years.
I found Kobi's mail address and sent him privately the patches
some 3 months ago. He politely acknowledged them, but the source was
not yet modified.
please do not try to interpret this as a rant on Kobi -- it's not!
I realise he is probably very busy, just like it happens to me many
times. I only try to contact other package maintainers to seek
their ideas on how to handle this.
I decided to look for other packagers that maintain this package and
see what is their situation:
* Debian -- changelog shows 1 release since 2007. No bugs listed
(except one new packaging problem in sid)
* Ubuntu -- you are also listed as maintainers for Ubuntu (two for
the price of one, that's good ;-)
* Opensuse -- only some broken package named hocr-tools (didn't waste
more time on this)
* Mandriva -- Google (mandriva hocr) didn't bring any substance :-O
So, it's only you guys (and girl's) and me. First, here are direct
links, so you can decide if you want to patch your packages:
* The closed bugs:
* The patches (the *.patch files):
If anyone have an idea how to better support this package, please chime in.
Oron Peled Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
More information about the Debian-hebrew-package