[Debian-olpc-devel] apt on jffs2, firmware_helper and udev

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Jun 27 13:21:48 UTC 2007

Just for fun, been trying to get Debian Etch onto an XO B2, using an
alternate method.

1.  transfer the running OLPC jffs2 build to a 1Gb USB flash disk, then
fix /boot to include the initrd and grub files taken from an ext3 build,
taking care to fix /etc/fstab as well, then booting from this,

2.  mounting the nand flash using "mount -t jffs2 mtd0 /mnt" and
unpacking a pbuilder etch base.tgz, fixing /etc/fstab, and restoring
/boot from the OLPC build, such that the OLPC kernel is operating
underneath the Debian Etch build,

3.  installing udev from Debian Etch, and transferring the
/lib/firmware/usb8388.bin blob across, such that the wireless works,

4.  finding that apt does not like jffs2 because jffs2 does not like
mmap, with solution of package cache on tmpfs, per
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.debian.devel.handheld/2005-12/msg00003.html

If I get things working to my satisfaction, I'll try to write up the
steps on the second time through.