[Debian-olpc-devel] Sync with debian

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 6 20:22:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 21:36 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Please elaborate on your concern: Do you consider the size itself a
> problem, or do you fear that large diff equals high risk of merge
> problems?

My reservation is that syncing/merging is ofter one of the introductory
step in the life cycle of an new Ubuntu packager.  So it is really easy
and common to screw up. The kiss principle applies here.

In the long term, my goal is to create a model were it is as easy to
create and ship Sugar activities as it is to distribute firefox
addons;)

Currently, the .xo mechanism is not robust enough to handle anything
beyond a supported XO system.

Hopefully, we will be shipping 100's of activities in the next few years
so I would like to push the effort of packaging .xos into tools such as
you are working on.

> And I note that there's a dedicated Ubuntu Sugar team list - thanks for
> bringing that to my attention (and sorry for my ignorance if you did so
> already!).

The Ubuntu team is only a few weeks old.  The mailing list started last
week.  We have what looks like the beginning of a good team.

My daily involvement in the team is going to be pretty limited.

Instead, I am going to focus on raising the level of awareness level
within the education focused derivatives about Sugar.  So you will have
users for your packages;)

thanks
dfarning