[Debian-olpc-devel] packaging for Sugar

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jul 27 18:02:02 UTC 2008

[sent again, to the list this time]

Hi David,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 12:29:19PM -0500, David Farning wrote:

>1.  Would it be possible to push your danish translations into the the
>OLPC pottle system at https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ . If not, why?
>The translators are pretty swamped right now but we could do some
>infrastructure work for the next release.

Sure.  Any help with that is much appreciated.

I tried register with that Pootle server but could not figure it out (I
believe I did create an account but was unable to register/request a new
namespace for the danish localization.  At the laptop.org wiki I believe
I found some description of western languages - apart from the
developers' languages english and german - being discouraged.

At the end I just gave up and maintained my localizations locally with
the packages.

>2.  You include several modification to cdbs.  Do you see any reason
>for not using those modifications downstream in Ubuntu.

Feel free to reuse the patches in a different packaging for Ubuntu.

And I would very much appreciate help passing the patches (at least the
ones starting with "1") upstream to the Sugar developers.  I haven't
found time to do so myself, but really the optimal would be for upstream
to adopt most possible of those.

>Currently, Ubuntu is repackaging from scratch.  I would prefer to help
>move the Ubuntu packaging effort upstream to debian if possible and do
>auto sync as necessary.

Joining forces across .deb-based distributions would be awesome IMO.

If you like the packaging style of the packaging done for Debian, then
please go on and package more in the same style and let us maintain them
together is Git repositories at Alioth.

If you don't like some or all of it, then please elaborate.  Not all are
happy about Git, and not all are happy about CDBS.  I am fond of both
and have put a lot of effort into optimizing that workflow, so am
hesitant to switch to plain debhelper at the moment.

Tell me more what changes would be needed for the packages now in Debian
to be acceptable for Ubuntu too.

And please, if you haven't already, subscribe to the OLPC mailinglist at
Alioth and let's continue the discussion there.

I have responded in private to respect your contacting me privately, but
would highly appreciate if you resend my response to the mailinglist and
we keep all discussion in the open :-)

[the above was written before I realized that you in fact posted to the
list - sorry!]

  - Jonas

- --