[Debian-olpc-devel] packaging for Sugar

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jul 27 18:32:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 07:44:29PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sunday 27 July 2008 19:29, David Farning wrote:
>> 2.  You include several modification to cdbs.  Do you see any reason
>> for not using those modifications downstream in Ubuntu.  Currently,
>> Ubuntu is repackaging from scratch.  I would prefer to help move the
>> Ubuntu packaging effort upstream to debian if possible and do auto
>> sync as necessary.
>
>I hope the plan still is to port the packaging to debhelper7 once lenny
>is out. At least that would allow me (and probably others) to
>contribute.

As I have mentioned earlier, I use CDBS features not available in
debhelper.  Debhelper v7 solved a major argument for CDBS in general:
the nicety of writing only _exceptions_ instead of tediously list all
standard routines meeded for all or most packages.  But there is more to
CDBS than that.

One additional feature of CDBS is the build-dependency resolving: Add
quilt patching to a package, and have CDBS adjust build-dependencies for
additional packages and tightened dependencies on eg. debhelper.

Another, an extension of mine not yet in official CDBS, is multiflavored
builds: compile a makefile- (or autotools-)based source multiple time
with different options by declaring only the diversions off of defaults.

My plan is to first get my various CDBS customizations, currently stored
in debian/cdbs of each package, incorporated into main CDBS.

Then I will look into writing debhelper plugins to do similar tasks,
ideally making CDBS irrelevant.

In other words, I do not expect to drop CDBS in the near future.

But that's just me.  Don't use my weird preferences as excuse for
helping out: Nothing stops you or anyone else from packaging other Sugar
packages using a different packaging style.

Yes, ee would loose the benefit of the closest possible teamwork if not
using same packaging style, but such close teamwork is nonexistent
currently anyway.

It annoys me that you seem to put the blame on CDBS.

Go ahead - do some packaging instead of just talking about it!

Kind regards,

  - jonas

- --