[Debian-olpc-devel] Sugar on Debian Lenny

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sun Feb 1 15:28:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sonntag, 11. Januar 2009, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 03:25:40PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> Should I, as a non-developer, write to the release manager or is it
>>> something best done by the respective maintainer?
>> I honestly don't know.
> OK. Might give it a try if we agree on when to do it.

Anybody can ask the release team to unblock packages (or whatever), the
release team decides by merit of the question, not by who is asking. That
said, they usually trust the maintainers opinion more than, say, some random
bystanders. (Not that I mean you are one :)

> > The fundamental intent of a "freeze" is to only let things through
> > that is explicitly wanted for next stable release, and the intent of a
> > "deep freeze" is to not let anything but the absolute minimal through.

While this is true, there are small exceptions to this. I explicitly asked Luk
to treat sugar a bit different, as it's new (at least in Debian) and
important technology. The result was, that he reviewed the whole diff and
accepted it. (I'm talking about the unblocks happening in the beginning of
December last year.)

Now the freeze has become deeper, but still, changes are ok, if they are
non-intrusive and fix fundamentaly broken things.

If sugar in lenny is still too broken to be reasonable usable, there are still
two choices: fixing it, or releasing lenny without sugar.

Personally I wonder if sugar without the terminal activity is worth having,
but maybe that's my shell centric perspective ;-)

> Well, if sugar is plain broken as of the versions currently in lenny,
> I'd considered that either to be part of "absolute minimal" or a reason
> for total removal from lenny. As you might guess, I'd like the former
> solution much better. :)

Me too :)

But we really need to hurry now. The next four days I will be too busy to do
much about it (except for following up on this list in time (hopefully)), but
Friday afternoon I will sit together with Tomeu in Brussels (before FOSDEM)
and see what needs+can be done. Is anybody else going there?

regards,
	Holger