[Debian-olpc-devel] Building abiword with libabiword

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Feb 16 21:50:48 UTC 2009

[cc'ing the abiword package, not only its uploader]

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:34:55PM +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>Congratulations on the lenny release!

Thanks (on behalf of the project) :-)

>With that out the door, I ask for some small attention on this
>libabiword matter. We've logged it at
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=512777. I've looked
>at it myself, but I'm still too new at packaging and I couldn't figure
>out the way to specify the files and directories for the
>libabiword(-dev) packages.
>
>Jonas, you mentioned that you might have a patch to implement this. I
>would very much like to implement a patch in Ubuntu that is at least
>suggested by a debian packager, even if it's not the final one you end
>up using for squeeze. (Yes, I know this is exactly what you said,
>Ubuntu ships hacks and fixes it up later... but we have a feature
>freeze later this week...)

What I mentioned was an attempt at working out a patch. And I mentioned
also, that I did not succeed in the limited time I put into that
attempt.

I only want to spend more time on this if beneficial long-term. Which
means I would want it to likely that my work was adopted for official
use in Debian *and* I would want to do it the way I am used to: Using
CDBS and d-shlibs.

Abiword is not currently using CDBS. So, Masayuki Hatta and Joshua Kwan:
Would you be interested in switching to CDBS if I provided a patch for
it? Or would you perhaps be interested in me joining you as
co-maintainer - so that I would stick around, maintain (at least) the
CDBS parts and help you egtting to understand it?

An example of a library packaged using CDBS and d-shlibs (which is even
slightly complex as upstream tarball is messy) is libgtkol.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

- --