[Debian-olpc-devel] How _should_ we import new changes into git?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jan 13 14:46:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:00:57AM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>In http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/sugar.git;a=summary you reverted my
>attempt to import 0.83.3 into sugar.git, how should I go about importing new
>upstream versions in the future?

I see now that no explanation was added to that Git entry - that was
wrong of me.

I think I posted an email explaining, but if I didn't, I sincerely
apologize.

I reverted because you updated from stable to unstable branch.

Current packaging does not handle multiple concurrent branches. As long
as we only handle a single branch, I want it to be the latest stable
branch, and thus avoid unstable branches completely.

I do want to support multiple concurrent branches. But it is not easy,
especially as I realize that even the current packaging is not easy for
newcomers to dive into.

My current plan is to move from the current undocumented Git packaging
to using topgit. Topgit is driven by similar packaging ideals as I have
had with the current one, and has the great benefit of being documented
and potentially will become more sidely used within Debian due to active
promotion by its author Martin Krafft, a generally aknowledged Debian
developer.

At the moment I am testing topgit with other projects, to get a better
feel of it, and to figure out how it best applies to my use of CDBS
(which Martin Krafft does not use).

I suggest leave the "trivial" packaging of core sugar parts to me for
now. With "trivial" i mean things like keeping in sync with upstream.

I suggest that you work on packaging more activities, and on finding and
squashing bugs - also bugs in the core Sugar packages.

Feel free to disagree. I do not feel that I should be the only one with
an opinion here :-)

  - Jonas

- --